Dongtan – China’s Eco-city December 28, 2006Posted by Unreasonable in Matters Architectural.
Dongtan is the eastern end of a Chongming Island in the mouth of the Yangtze River. (Google Map) Zoom out to see Shanghai. Right now it is fields and wetlands:
But by 2010 it is supposed to be China’s first of four planned eco-cities:
According to Cool Hunter Dongtan will feature:
- Zero greenhouse-emission transit.
- Self-sufficient water systems.
- Village-style neighborhoods to make it pedestrian rather than car friendly.
- All of its energy generated from renewable sources.
- Waste reused and organic waste composted or used as biomass for additional energy production.
Business Week listed Dongtan as one of the 10 Wonders of the New China.